Thursday, April 14, 2011

My Sea Decree


When I am by the sea, something arises in me that was birthed and embedded in my being from the very beginning of my life. I grew up on the water, the Great South Bay being my front yard. Seeing the morning sun shimmer like diamonds on gentle waves, smelling the salty air, fishing off my jetty and catching buckets full of blue crabs, this was my life. Maybe it's also a part of me, not only for those facts, but because that is where my family was; my foundation, my safety and protection from the stormy waves of life. I had 'little girl joy' during those years spent by the sea. I was carefree. I was loved. I was home. My deep desire, love, and longing for the sea is still so strong at times, it almost hurts. It is powerful, and my art seems to draw that passion for the sea out of me. I hope each piece I create lets you also experience, in some small way, what is in my heart.

This piece is called Sea Decree III. I am in love with the how the creator of these words so beautifully captures the calming effect the sea has on the soul. It spoke volumes to me, so much in fact, that I have incorporated this writing in various pieces.

"When anxious, uneasy and bad thoughts come, I go to the sea, and the sea drowns them out with its great wide sounds, cleanses me with its noise, and imposes a rhythm upon everything in me that is bewildered and confused." R.M. Rilke

Sea Decree III
Bees wax, latex, paper and pencil
on a very cool old, wooden box
15x20x3
Not sure I want to sell this one yet.


3 comments:

  1. You are amazing mom. Wow. This is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lizz...you certainly are my biggest fan and faithful encourager. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living your dream girl...you're doing it!! So proud of you! So HAPPY for you! One of these days...

    ReplyDelete