Thursday, February 7, 2013

Confessions of a Wood Hoarder


I'll admit it, I'm a wood hoarder.  Whew, felt good to get that off my chest!!
I am forever picking up old scraps of wood.
I believe my husband thinks I'm nuts, but always knows what's hiding behind my back as I try to sneak into the car,  another piece of old wood, sometimes very dirty, 
in a garbage bin, or the best...washed ashore. 
My pile at home is growing, but I know that they will come to life 
at just the right time. 
Hmmm...I think there's a life lesson there.  Anyway....



For me, to bring a piece of wood to life that was ready for 
the fire pit months ago, is a thrill.
So for these little guys, I gave them some fresh paint, 
cute little flowers that were on an 
outdated calendar, and some wonderful bees wax.





 Simple Beauty



The one on the left was done on a piece of wood I found washed up after a big storm hit Carolina Beach.  I just loved the two holes, so I left them exposed,
 as well as the rusted nails at the bottom.  
The one to the right, was randomly found in a 
parking lot.  You'll never know where you'll find a gem,
     so keep your eyes open! (and again, another life lesson!!) 


I like how these pieces can stand alone on a shelf, or be hung on a wall. 
I saw ones done like this on a website, so I can't take all the credit for them,
but they made me so happy and I wanted to try this for myself, 
knowing that mine would take on my own style and feel.  



I love how they flow into each other with what seems like blue water against the gray sky, 
with a single flower standing strong in the middle of life.






No comments:

Post a Comment