Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Who's a size 2 anyway?!?

Thriftstoring (one of my many made up words) is one of the more fun events of my week. I usually go with my daughter, daughter-in-law, and sometimes with my mom. It's always a thrill to see what treasures we're going to find, and on Wednesdays at the Salvation Army, well, all clothing is 50% off so the thrill is doubly as wonderful. On this one particular day, I didn't find a thing and was a bit disheartened, but did come across this very beautiful wool skirt with a unique trim a the bottom. Well, pretty is was, although in a size that has never grace my body...but my mind went wild with what it could become! So, I bought it, for a mere $2.



The trim actually coordinated with the wall color in my living room which led me to think...Pillow!!


I stared by sewing up that slit with a whip stitch. Then measured how big I wanted this pillow to be. To have the ruffly part be in the middle, I measured up from the ruffles the same distance it was from them, to the bottom, then sewed a straight stitch across to make it symmetrical.



Next, I found an old feather pillow which is pictured below. (I'm rather mortified to put this picture on the blog since this one had been around for a hundred years or so and has many disgusting stains on it) (I really am a clean person) I knew it would be all covered up and no one would know...well, until now. So, I went to work stitching in two places so I could cut in between to the size I needed, without that poor goose's coat go a flying throughout
my whole room. It worked!

Now I was ready to put the new-sized feather pillow into the skirt bottom and sew up the bottom with a whip stitch.


Here is the finished pillow sitting proudly on my new Ikea chair I got for Christmas. I think it came out rather nice and am certainly going to be looking for more
fun skirts to make a few others.

I just hope the lady who once wore that skirt never comes for tea and recognizes one of the items that once hung in her closet. That would be a strange thing to have to explain.
But for now, I'll just relax in my chair and enjoy my skirt pillow!


1 comment: